Saturday 17 December 2016

a little bit xmas


Putting up the Christmas star.  No decorations in our neighbourhood at all so far this year.  From tonight our house will have a star flashing red and green on the roof and some lights along the fence.   This yuletide sight will be for us and the goats and Vaso if she pokes her head out of the gate on these freezing winter nights.



Not a great photo.  Too much going on up there.  Looks impressive in the dark of the night



One of the family houses down on Poros.  A typical island house I would say.  Not much room so the tree is stuck into a small alcove.  The wiring is typical as well.  Wires for the TV, lights, computer, telephone all coming out of the same socket.


Our own tree. Pity it doesn't show all the small hanging bits and pieces. Looks better at night with the glow of flashing multi-coloured lights



Xmas cards from New Zealand. Surfin Santa and pukekos, cards saved over the years



Merry Christmas in Maori. 

Thanks Tony and Susi for these glimpses of Xmas in another world


Homemade decorations.  A painted tile and stone.

Thanks Jan


Grandchildren's contributions, from years gone by.



I knitted 60 of these xmas stockings one year.  These are the first experimental ones that didn't turn out quite so well, the ones I got to keep

A friend of ours had this fantastic idea to use these as knife and fork holders and each person got to take theirs home.  She wanted 40 of them. 



The grandchildren's Christmas stockings.  The ones they hang up at our house.  The two boys have enormous stockings, the girls slightly daintier. My very rustic home knitting. The kids love and recognise them as their own. That's all that matters.

Kalo christoyenna

12 comments:

  1. I like the grandchildren's art:) and also those small socks.I like the tree and the star too,I like Christmas decorations:).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a lot of the grandchildren art . Over the years they have made cards and decorations and I keep them all. They love it too. What grandparents do I guess

      Delete
  2. I like the New Zealand Christmas cards. It must be great to have Christmas dinner in the sun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the nz cards too. In fact I've just found more. I never throw these out or reuse!

      Delete
    2. Well, I do reuse....every Christmas !

      Delete
  3. i loved the art from little angles .
    card is gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love my grandchildren art too. Thank you for your comment!

      Delete
  4. Lovely that you have saved your grandchildren art, I have special ornaments that they made years ago 😂
    I can imagine your star shining bright, just like a lighthouse, a beacon in the night.
    Magical.
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What, that's a good one 'beacon in the night's. That's exactly what it is. A lone star in the middle of nowhere!

      Delete
  5. We dont have any lights outside but we have our advent lights in the front 2 downstairs rooms that face the road. I am hoping to get more fairy lights and some outdoor lights in the january sales for next year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Twinkling lights inside or outside the house are a cheering sight to passers-by at Xmas.....as long as you don't overdo it. Don't like it when they cover the house and garden

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete