Wednesday 8 March 2017

Zito Women-kind

International Women's Day. 

 March 8th 1911 Clara Zetkin launches International Women's Day in Copenhagen.

2017 Melbourne Australia changes ten of its traffic lights to male and female figures.  So now ten pedestrian figures with skirts will tell you when you can or cannot safely cross the road.






25 years ago Poros bars and tavernas used to be flooded on this day by females old and young.  The young in their jeans and the elderly in their furs and gold jewellery.  Groups of Women would take over, talking, yelling, laughing and dancing.




Doing the Greek belly dance called 'tsiftiteli'.



This photo is taken at a wedding but you get the idea.  Dancing on the tables is de rigueur.


Last year my daughters and their friends stayed at home to celebrate.  One of the husbands, an excellent chef, cooked for them, served and cleaned up.  I doubt Poros town was flooded by anything last year or for many a long year on this night, certainly not gangs of women on the prowl.

Today I made moussaka for a woman friend of mine and a tangy lemon cake with greek yoghurt.

Not fair says my husband.  When do man-kind celebrate?   Every day!



Just some of my favourite women.  




14 comments:

  1. It was a non even here at home. Still had washing and cooking and looking after animals. But I did have a nice nap in the middle of the day lol
    I think it's silly about the lights. We don't care about what the figure is. We just want equal pay for equal work and fair recognition for the work we do outside of paid employment

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right of course. Ridiculous. You dont even notice the figure, just the lights and make a dash or not.

      Delete
  2. Our town of Bonners Ferry don't have any stop light. Let lone a cross walk light.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dora. We dont have any traffic lights where I live either. No-one would take any notice of them if we did!

      Delete
  3. It was a miserable day here yesterday, so I have no idea if the village ladies celebrated or not; I suspect not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was raining here but my daughters still went out for a quick drink with some friends. Cant afford to do much else.

      Delete
  4. Nothig special here,but a lot about it on the media.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We also had a lot of news and a special message from the Prime Minister which really said absoltuely nothing. He is good at making speeches which have no base in reality.
      Most countries dont celebrate but there were marches in some american cities.

      Delete
  5. I've never heard of it. Load of old rubbish if you ask me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why not? Just another reason to celebrate and this time to enjoy good female company!!

      Delete
    2. Depends on the men, but I can say the same about the women

      Delete
  6. Don,t think anything happened here, first I,ve heard of it.
    Good excuse for an extra meet up with the girlies though.
    But then again I tend to do what and when I want anyway.
    Mousaka yum, have you got the sauce recipie?. Mine never tastes like it does in Greece.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was amazed the first time I was here in march and saw how big the crowd of women was that joined in. A poros thing.
      The sauce is mince, onions, garlic, tomato paste and may be some fresh tomato, olive oil of course, oregano and lots of fresh grated nutmeg. Some people put in a stick of cinnamon as well.
      Nothing ever tastes the same away from its native land!

      Delete